Daniel and Eve, along with our first-time studio audience of one, saw Star Trek in the theater last week, so we’re sharing some initial reactions. This is far from a thorough review.
We thoroughly enjoyed this movie! We try to keep the spoilers to a minimum.
- Kirk’s family situation made it harder to be raised.
- Is there anything in Iowa? Call (903) 231-2221 or email feedback@AreYouJustWatching.com to let us know.
- Police officer calls someone “citizen.” Is this similar to the communist title of “comrade”?
- In Spock’s training, we may have heard a new immortal phrase, “It is morally praiseworthy but not morally obligatory.”
- Kirk is capable of choosing his destiny.
- There’s a small reference, and some other fun references to .
- Kirk is “meant for something better.” Does he have a personal drive rather than being led by the wind?
- Rumulans and Vulcans share a “common ancestor”—hint of evolution or just a past culture split? Daniel thinks it’s evolutionary, Eve thinks it’s cultural.
- Spock’s father tells him to “put aside logic and do what feels right.”
In this short episode, Daniel forgot to mention that there is one scene of immodesty that the movie could have done without. Thankfully, the audio wasn’t explicit, but Daniel chose to avert his eyes anyway.
Share your feedback!
What did you think of Star Trek? We would like to know, even if just your reactions to the trailer or the topics we shared in this episode. Or what general critical-thinking and entertainment thoughts or questions do you have? Would you like to suggest a movie or TV show for us to give a Christian movie review with critical thinking?
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@AreYouJustWatching.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with us
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy